- St. John’s University School of Law, J.D., 1980
St. John’s Law Review, Publications Editor
- Villanova University, B.S., 1975
- The Honorable Thomas J. Meskill,
United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, 1980-81
- Assistant U.S. Attorney
Deputy Chief Organized Crime & Racketeering
Senior Trial Counsel
Eastern District of New York, 1985-94
- Simpson Thacher & Bartlett
Litigation Associate 1981-85
- Founding partner,
De Feis O’Connell & Rose, P.C., 1994 – Present
- New York
- Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
Mr. O’Connell is retiring effective 12/31/2018.
Gregory J. O’Connell has tried over twenty criminal federal jury trials in addition to numerous state trials, arbitrations, and administrative proceedings. He has briefed and argued over twenty appeals before the Second Circuit Court of Appeals. His three decades of experience includes counseling corporations and individuals in white collar and corporate criminal defense, complex civil cases and internal investigations. He has represented senior executives and officers of public companies, financial advisers and brokers, investment bankers, public officials, medical professionals, attorneys and accountants in federal and state proceedings and investigations, including proceedings before United States Attorneys’ Offices, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the New York Stock Exchange, the NASD, FINRA, the New York State Attorney General and regulatory agencies. His cases have involved alleged securities fraud, bank fraud, mortgage fraud, mail and wire fraud, tax offenses, antitrust, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, accounting fraud and public corruption.
Mr. O’Connell graduated from Villanova University and St. John’s University School of Law, where he served as publications editor of the Law Review. Mr. O’Connell next served as a law clerk for the late Honorable Thomas J. Meskill, in the Second Circuit Court of Appeals. After his clerkship, Mr. O’Connell became an associate of Simpson Thacher & Bartlett specializing in complex civil litigation and then an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Eastern District of New York. As an Assistant U.S. Attorney, Senior Trial Counsel and Deputy Chief of the Organized Crime & Racketeering Section, he successfully tried and argued a number of high profile cases, including prosecutions of the bosses of the Luchese and Genovese crime families. He received, among other honors, the Attorney General’s Award for Superior Performance and several commendations for Outstanding Service, including a Special Achievement Award for Sustained Superior Performance.
Mr. O’Connell has successfully handled many complex and sensitive cases, including matters involving national security that required top secret clearance. Some notable matters include:
- Representation of the principal owner of a major real estate development corporation in a bank and mortgage fraud investigation.
- Representation of the chief operating officer of a commercial bank in a federal bank fraud investigation.
- Representation through acquittal on principal charges of a physician in a federal Medicare fraud case.
- Representation of numerous specialists and floor clerks of the New York Stock Exchange through successful disposition or dismissal of Department of Justice and New York Stock Exchange securities investigations.
- Representation of investment bankers, analysts, and stock brokers in numerous SEC and DOJ securities fraud investigations.
- Representation of in-house counsel of a major public company in federal investigations and related shareholder actions concerning accounting irregularities.
- Representation of companies in significant commercial litigation, including contract, civil RICO and securities matters.
For a more detailed list of notable matters, click here. Mr. O’Connell has also appeared as an expert on numerous occasions in the media and on ABA and New York City Bar Association panels to discuss corporate and criminal law. Mr. O’Connell most recently appeared as a panelist on the ABA White Collar Committee’s Fall 2008 Seminar, “Recent Developments in Corporate Prosecutions: Views From the Prosecution and Defense in the Northeast."
Mr. O’Connell has received the highest rating by his peers in Martindale-Hubbell, reflecting his high level of legal ability and ethics. He was chosen by his peers as a “Super Lawyer” in the area of white collar crime, an honor awarded to only a small group of lawyers who practice in the area. He is Vice-President and a Steering Committee member of the Eastern District Association, and a member of the Panel of Investigative Attorneys, Eastern District of New York Grievance Committee, the New York Council of Defense Lawyers, the Federal Bar Council and the Association of the Bar of the City of New York.