- Yale Law School, J.D., 1983
The Yale Law Journal, Senior Editor
- Yale College, B.A., 1980
Summa cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
- The Honorable Leonard B. Sand,
Southern District of New York, 1983-84
- Assistant U.S. Attorney
Eastern District of New York, 1984-89
- Private Practice and founding partner,
De Feis O’Connell & Rose, P.C., 1989 - Present
- New York
- Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
Nicholas M. De Feis* has over 25 years of experience as a trial lawyer and counselor specializing in white collar and corporate criminal defense, complex civil cases and investigations. He has represented corporations, senior executives, lawyers, accountants, CFOs and other officers of public companies, financial advisers and brokers, investment bankers, public officials and doctors in federal and state proceedings and investigations, including proceedings before the United States Department of Justice, various United States Attorneys’ Offices, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the New York State Attorney General and regulatory agencies. He has examined compliance issues and spearheaded internal investigations. His cases have involved securities fraud, including insider trading, mail and wire fraud, tax offenses, antitrust, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, accounting fraud and public corruption.
After graduating from Yale College and the Yale Law School, Mr. De Feis served as a law clerk for the Honorable Leonard B. Sand in the Southern District of New York. Mr. De Feis then became an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Eastern District of New York where he successfully tried and argued a number of major cases and received, among other honors, the Attorney General’s Commendation for Outstanding Service and a Special Achievement Award for Sustained Superior Performance.
Since founding De Feis O’Connell & Rose, Mr. De Feis has successfully handled both high profile and confidential assignments. Some notable representations include:
- Representation through acquittal at trial of a public official in a federal corruption case.
- Representation of numerous professionals, including attorneys, accountants and executives in the financial services industry through successful disposition or dismissal of federal securities investigations.
- Representation of several members of the legal department of a large publicly traded company through successful completion of federal investigations and related shareholder actions concerning accounting irregularities.
- Proceedings brought by the New York State Attorney General pursuant to the Martin Act and state antitrust law.
- Investigations and litigation involving tax shelters, representing both investors and promoters.
- The defense of U.S. nationals facing charges or investigations overseas and proceedings involving the pursuit of foreign evidence through treaty requests and other means in various countries.
- Negotiation of non-prosecution and cooperation agreements for construction, food distribution, publishing and service companies.
- Obtaining non-prosecution agreements in large Foreign Corrupt Practices, bid-rigging and numerous securities fraud investigations, involving both individuals and entities.
- Successful representation of large and smaller companies, including private equity companies, in complex litigation in federal and state courts.
Mr. De Feis publishes a regular column in the New York Law Journal on "International Criminal Law and Enforcement" and has also written on corporate compliance, internal investigations, asset forfeiture, criminal defense and sentencing, among other topics, appeared in the media and on panels to discuss corporate and criminal law and served as an expert in the area of extradition. Here is a link to some of these articles.
Mr. De Feis has been named to Best Lawyers in America and repeatedly selected by his peers as a “Super Lawyer” in the area of White Collar Criminal defense. He also has a preeminent rating in Martindale-Hubbell, reflecting the highest level of legal ability and ethics. He is a Master of the New York American Inn of Court, a former Board Member of the New York Council of Defense Lawyers, a member of the Federal Bar Council and former member of the Judiciary Committee of the New York City Bar Association.
*Mr. De Feis is currently on extended medical leave